The date has been set. You sent out the invitations. You’re having a party.
Now there are only a 1000 things that still need to be taken care of before you host your big party. Cue in the panic.
Having a party at home always sounds like a fun idea until you start getting into the thick of the planning period from the menu planning to making sure you have enough glassware, there are lot of balls in the air to juggle to ensure that everything turns out just rate. You see, we are taught from a very young age about making first impressions. As we got older, it became ingrained in us that you don’t always get a second chance to make first impression.
Planning a party can become an overwhelming event, if everything is put off to the last minute. But there’s no need to stress. All it takes is a little bit of organization to get things rolling, without adding any more stress to your everyday life!
Followed these simple steps and your party planning process will leave you excited to show your friends family or colleagues what you can do.
Four to six weeks before the party!
- Choose a theme.
- Make a guest list
- Pick a date and time.
- Decide if it will be indoors or outside.
- Decide on the day’s activities; what time to eat, what games to play, what crafts to do, etc.
- Order your party supplies; including favors, decorations, and any other rentals you think you might need
- If you are ordering your entertainment; get written receipts and read those contracts.
Three weeks before the party!
- Send out invitations; asking for RSVP’s by a certain date and time. If you are sending out digital invitations, make sure you log in regularly to record your RSVP’s.
- Solicit help from family members and friends. (i.e. clean up, games, taking pictures, answering doors)
- Come up with the menu you’d like and your bar. If you’re using a caterer, call for quotes.
Two weeks before the BIG DAY!
- If you haven’t received any RSVP’s, call to make sure they are coming.
- Confirm your helpers can still attend and what their duties will be.
- If you are using a caterer to supply all your food and beverage, place your order.
- Confirm your entertainment. If you are using your own playlist, make sure it is ready to go or create one.
One week before the BIG DAY!
- Call or email all confirmed guests and remind them of the big day, double checking directions.
- Purchase any last minute food and dessert.
- Confirm the catering order and give final numbers to caterer.
- If you are cooking yourself, create a complete grocery list based on your menu.
- If you are going to use a florist, now is the time to call for quotes and place an order.
- If you have no helpers, hire someone to help clean clear throughout the party.
One day before the BIG DAY!
- Prepare your foods ahead of time. If anything can be cooked and reheated, now is the time.
- Get the house ready and clean and set up the way you want it.
- Pick up the flowers if you are making your own floral arrangements and organize the vases.
Day of the BIG DAY!
- Pick up the cake.
- Organize suppliers as they arrive (florist, DJ and caterer if using).
- Shower, get dressed
- HAVE FUN!